Sunday, August 16, 2009

Day 3 of 350

We arrived in Kuwait on Friday night just before midnight local time. Our flight left SC and stopped briefly in Bangor, Maine and Liepzip, Germany before arriving in Kuwait. We traveled for about two hours to Camp Virginia where I will be stationed for the next week or so before heading to Iraq, my home for the next 341 days.


Overall, the base at Camp Virginia is pretty nice. The downside, of course, is that it is about 115 degrees outside and very, very dusty. I described it to a buddy as putting your face right by the oven door, opening it, waiting for the gust of hot air and then having someone throw beach sand in your face at the same time. On the brightside, they do have a Starbucks.


Our living quarters are somewhat interesting too. I am in a 9-man tent with a guy that snores far louder than me. Those of you that have shared a room with me before know that is an accomplishment. The saving grace in this situation, which I am eternally thankful for, is that we have an enormous and powerful air conditioner in our room, which drowns out essentially every noise. Nick and Suzanna, think of a sound soother the size of a VW Jetta. In fact, it's so cold in our tent, I have to wear socks and sleep in my cold weather sleeping bag. Again, this is strange because as soon as you wake up you realize that it's about 40 degrees hotter outside and the wind is sandblasting your tent.


Tent photo:





Here is a photo of our tent city:



The landscape almost makes you feel like you've traveled to a Martian outpost or something. Anway, that's all for now. I'll take some photos at Udiari and send those when I get some time.

1 comment:

Joe Holstead said...

Best Wishes, Aaron!
Joe H.